winter1

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Locked in the bathroom

I tried to take a bath the other day while the kids were playing and dad was supervising. I locked myself in the bathroom with my laptop to do some homework/relax (how do you like that combo? lol). I was able to get some moments of quiet in, but soon both of my children were banging on the door and insisting that I had taken a long enough bath and should get out now. I "gently encouraged them" to go play with daddy and let mommy relax. They continued to knock and yell at me through the door. They did finally walk away for about a minute. During that minute I had a thought that made me smile. My kids really love me. It seems like a silly thought, but it wasn't to me in that moment. I think that, at times, I get overwhelmed with life and all of my responsibilities. Every moment I am with my children, I am doing things for them. When I am not with them, I am thinking about them and still doing things for them... It is easy to feel a little unappreciated as a mom of toddlers... (sigh) I am making a pledge to think differently about the times when I am feeling overwhelmed and bombarded by my kids. Don't get me wrong, I still think that breaks are good and very important, but I am going to remember each time I hear "MOMMY" yelled from the top of their lungs, that they love me and some day I know I am going to miss it!



As moms I think that we need breaks from taking care of the kids, doing housework, working, being a wife, etc. But the best part about taking a break is the hugs you get when you return. All of the chaos is worth it when you see their shining smiles and arms outstretched in love.

1 comment:

  1. Cute :-)....welcome to motherhood, aint it grand :-)breaks are good, but maybe somewhere a bit more fun than the bathroom ?..haha......couldn't help chuckle about the laptop in the bathroom....that's what I did as I sat upon the thrown in preparation for my colonoscopy last Thursday :-)... Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete